Monday, February 06, 2006

Revisit my inspiration for this site, the 2003 Tribune series, "A squandered heritage"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/custom/landmarks/chi-landmarksfront-htmlstory,0,6326641.htmlstory

This is the excellent series of articles that started it all for me, "A Squandered Heritage," which ran in the Chicago Tribune back in 2003. Written by Blair Kamin and Patrick T. Reardon, it focused on what had been lost up until that point. Reading this article filled me with rage; up until that point, I was proud to be a part of the well-publicized Chicago renaissance, which had been well covered in the local as well as national press. Headlines blared that Chicago's population had grown for the first time in decades; the Loop was becoming a shopping destination again. Yuppies were moving back to the city in droves. But what would be left of the city once this development boom subsided? Sadly, the loss of so many historic buildings seems to have accelerated since this article came out. This past week, as I photographed buildings soon to come down, I again realized that EVERY SINGLE HISTORIC BUILDING should be considered threatened with demolition-yes, every single one. Don't forget this.

Love, Mr. Archibleckture

1 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

I totally agree with you. I read that series too and I think it affected me as well. Here in RP we are trying to stay on top of the situation and not just let things get done without community input.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home